Thursday, July 19, 2012

Camping - Staying "On Plan"

Okay, so Weight Watchers gives you tons of tools for how to stay "on plan" or "OP" while you're on vacation. I had it all worked out. I was going to eat well, fill up on veggies, eat lower fat foods, drink lots of water and only some diet and diet caffeine-free sodas. I was going to resist the urge to splurge.

Hahaha! I'm hilarious. I did the best I could. I ate lower-fat Spam and eggs (my husbands FAVORITE camping breakfast), we had turkey hot dogs for the trip and I used only lower-fat olive oil mayo for the sandwiches.

Then, I had Texas Toast with one breakfast and formed hashbrowns for another. I ate 2 hot dogs at a time WITH Doritos (limited to about 1 serving or 12-16 chips) and diet sodas. I drank little water and then had S'mores with EVERY dinner and once on the last day after breakfast. And I didn't just have S'mores. I had some normal S'mores and then half of my S'mores were made with...wait for it......
REESES peanut butter cups!! Yeah. I can easily say, I SERIOUSLY doubt I was on plan.

Without any data-enabled devices and no service anyway, I had NO way to track. I also had NO way to weigh myself on my usual Sunday weigh-in day. I had NO idea how I was doing. I won't officially know until this Sunday. However, that being said, I DID weigh myself this morning in order to gauge the damage and....I gained a little less than a pound.  WHA?! Yeah. Let me say that again. A LITTLE LESS THAN A POUND.

Hey, I'll take that. After the week I had, I was afraid I was going to over 3 pounds, putting me back over the 200 pound mark and right out of Onederland. I think I would have taken it like a champ, but I would have been crying on the inside. It goes to show that even if you DO splurge, a little forethought and effort goes a long way. I tried to resist having a 3rd S'more. I didn't skimp on my vegetables when I was hungry. I tried to dish up my Doritos rather than sit down at the camp-fire with the whole bag. If I snacked, I grabbed fruit and veggies, because we HAD them available. I piled my sandwiches HIGH with lettuce, cucumbers, and tomatoes, and then added lean meats and only a little cheese. I used whole grain/whole wheat bread.

I also made a conscious effort to hike whenever we could. I didn't meander or stroll to the bathroom; I ran when I could. I ran there and then ran back. I ran with my son up and down the camp-ground road to wear him out and get myself moving. I hiked the interpretive trails and hiked to the river and back and again and again. I walked quickly and with purpose. I used to HATE hiking because I would be SO tired afterward and I'd have to stop SO often that I couldn't enjoy the view. I would get winded walking to the bathrooms and so I wouldn't want to walk anywhere with my family. This trip was totally different. I found myself looking for reasons to get moving and wasn't humming and hawing about going to see the sights like I have for 15 years.

Weight Watchers might have suggested I do a BETTER job of tracking and eating well, but doing my best, I managed to keep myself in reasonable check. I'm sure that in years past, a camping trip would have meant a several pound gain as I pigged out and then moved very little, sleeping most of the days.

I want to take this time to say, if you identify with what I'm saying; if you've found yourself "relaxing" on a camping trip meaning sleeping in the tent all day, sitting around the campfire eating hot dog after hot dog, eating S'more after S'more, snacking all day and then feeling TOO worn out or tired to walk the trails and visit the beach/water/landmarks, then listen up. There is FREEDOM from that feeling. Weight Watchers is helping me get there and I'd recommend it if you have the weight to lose. Learning to eat well and get moving has changed my life. Weight Watchers has changed my life. How will YOU get there? Please, join me.

Until next week everyone. Happy Trails!!! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment