Sunday, March 25, 2012

Met My 1st Goal Today!

Today, I met my first "Goal." Weight Watchers asks you to set small goals, like so many weight lost strategies. The whole idea is that if you set your only goal as your total loss, especially in cases like mine where I have SO much to lose, then you will have a hard time actually reaching that ultimate goal. By breaking your weight loss into segments, you can take it one step at a time and reward yourself for the smaller, but meaningful, accomplishments along the path to success.
I don't remember what my first goal was, but I took Weight Watchers advice and simply accepted the first goal they set for me. 21.4 lbs lost and I've reached that first goal. The next Weight Watchers Goal they asked me to set was 214 something. I chose to set my own goal. I chose 200 lbs. It's less of a jump than my first goal and I feel like I'll feel very accomplished once I get to 200. 38 lbs lost will be really something awesome to celebrate. I'm looking forward to it.
Until then, I sure hope my body continues to be THIS predictable. I lose on the average of 1.5-2 lbs for two weeks. Then PMS week hits and I start retaining water and eating like a horse. I lose about .5-1 lbs for that week. Then, the actual period week hits (sorry if this is TMI, but it's not MY fault - talk to Mother Nature), and I loose about a pound. Then, the next week (this week, for example) I make up for it and dump the water weight and get my actual weight loss (3.8 lbs this week).
I know there must be plateaus coming and I'm sure I won't ALWAYS lose at this rate (although, it would be great if I would), but I'll be happy if I lose at the rate I am. Losing more than 20 lbs thus far is pretty dang incredible. I'm REALLY HAPPY! I'm praying that Steve keeps up his losses too. So far, he's losing much faster than I am, but I'm excited for him. He's lost over 20 lbs already! YAY for him!
If you have weight to lose, I don't think it's WHAT program you use or whatever, but it's the mindset. Although, I DO like Weight Watchers and the idea that 1. I eat what I want so long as I don't go over my daily points (so essentially, my calories for the day), and 2. That food I eat comes with consequences. If I want to eat more points (calories), I have to work them off that week. If I eat cheesecake, I'd better swim for a few hours or dance my rear off to make up for it. Surprisingly, perhaps, is that I've NEVER thought about food in this way. I NEVER have accepted the concept of calories in = calories out and that the remaining balance means weight gain. You'd think I'd get that, but it's never stuck. I've never felt in control of my food. I've felt like food controls me and that I had no hope. Weight Watchers has changed that and if there was any reason to recommend it, that would be it.
I will attempt to post my first photo set today (hopefully a before and after (-20lbs)). Other than that, until next week friends! Easter is coming! I'll try to come up with a healthy recipe to share for that indulgent holiday before next week!

Okay, I'm updating this post with news of the first before and after photos. Unfortunately, I didn't take a starting photo, so I had to find my best "before" picture that I could. In May, I'll be able to get a more "comparison worthy" photo set for you. Please check out the Photos tab at the top of the page under the title for the new additions and look for more to come in May! Thanks for being patient and waiting for these!

No comments:

Post a Comment